Recipe: Black-Eyed Pea Slices
Note: The black-eyed peas and cornmeal together make complete protein, while oats protect the heart and boost the immune system, and also lower risk for both breast cancer and diabetes. Turmeric has powerful antioxidant properties and has been studied for possible protective benefit in PD. Coconut oil contains medium-chain triglyceride, which is metabolized for energy, rather than being stored as fat. It also helps destroy bacteria, molds, and viruses.
Serving Ideas: Can be eaten by itself at room temperature as a snack, or served as a side dish with rice and a vegetable.
2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Red or Green Sweet Bell Pepper
1 Teaspoon Curry Powder
1 Tsp Turmeric
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
2 Cups Cooked or Canned Black-eyed Peas, drained; or cannellini or other white beans
1/3 Cup Raw Rolled Oats
1/2 Cup Corn Meal
2 Cups Vegetable Broth
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F / Gas Mark 4 / Celsius 180. Grease a 9-inch (8 cup / 2 litre) loaf pan.
2. In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the coconut oil. When hot, add onion and sweet pepper; saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low. Add the curry powder and turmeric, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes longer.
4. Add the black-eyed peas, rolled oats, cornmeal, and broth; stir well.
5. Turn the mixture into the loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes. The oats and cornmeal should be cooked and have absorbed the broth, and the mixture should be loose but thick.
6. Smooth the surface. Place pan in refrigerator to chill. Loaf should be firm when chilled.
7. Turn loaf out onto plate or platter; slice. May be served at room temperature or fried in coconut oil.
As always, be sure to check out Nutrition U Can Live With for more delicious and healthy recipes geared towards those with Parkinson’s Disease!
Per Serving: 171 Calories; 5g Fat (26.0% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 543mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat.
Tags: Healthy Brain, Healthy Heart, Easy Chew, High Fiber, Dairy-Free, Snack